Location for Rubber Tramp Rendezvous (RTR)

Summer-RTR-Mountain

Here we are parked very close to the RTR camp.

I am writing and publishing this on Saturday, June 15, 2013. The Summer Rubber Tramp Rendezvous (RTR) starts this Tuesday, June 18, 2013. The time has come to finalize its location! Gloria, Judy, Dave and I have been searching the Coconino National Forest around Flagstaff looking for a camp-site and we finally found it! So this post is a map to it and I will move tomorrow Sunday, June 16, 2013 and will be camping on it. As of then, you can come camp with me there. These are my requirements for the RTR Campsite:

• Large enough for 20-30 rigs. This camp has lots of room!
  • Easy to find. Anybody who can follow a map can find us!
  • Good road into it. You will be turning onto Forest Road 506 and the first .4 miles are paved, then it is another 1.9 miles (2.3 total) of dirt road. Any vehicle can make the drive, but it is a little washboard. Just drive slow and you won’t have any problem.
  • Easy enough for any size vehicle to get into. Plenty of room for your rig no matter how big!
  • Good internet reception. Quite good!
  • High enough elevation to stay cool. Since we are at 7500 feet, the temperatures should be in the 80s or at worst low 90s.
  • Fairly close to town and shopping. We are 8 miles from a Walmart in Flagstaff, and only 1.9 miles of that is dirt.
  • Beautiful! See the pictures!

After lots of studying maps, exploring and searching, we have a winner!! We found what I think is the perfect spot and so this post is to tell you how to find it. First, here is my home-made map to it. At the bottom of the post are other maps, including a Google Satellite.

Summer-RTR-Tirn-in2

The turn-in, to the camp.

If you are heading West on I-40 get off on Exit 190 and turn right. If you are heading East on I-40 get off on Exit 190 and turn left. That turns into Forest Road 506 and you want to stay on it the whole way. On the left is a subdivision of expensive homes, just ignore them and go straight. The first .4 miles are paved and then it turns to dirt for the next 1.9 miles for a total of 2.3 miles to camp. It’s very easy, but you do come to one “Y.” When you come to it you must turn left. It is clearly marked that if you go straight it is FR 515, so you want to turn left and you will see a signpost saying it is FR 506. We are just a little ways past that on the left. I will have a large sign out saying RTR.

Summer-RTR-Y

This is the “Y”. Turn left toward the mountain and stay on FR 506.

Once the road turns to dirt, it is legal to camp anywhere along it as long as you stay within 300 feet of the center-line of the road. So you can come camp right in camp with us, or if you prefer, you can camp further away and just come visit with us. Your choice! To know how far you are off the road, start at the center of the road and take 100 long paces; that’s about 300 feet on average.

Here are some things you should know about the RTR:

• We are under a fire-ban—you MUST NOT build a fire! If you do, I will ask you to leave. If you refuse, I will leave you and move the whole RTR away from you.
  • No permits are required.
  • Dogs are welcome; they need to be under your control.
  • Nothing will be provided!  You need to bring everything you need, with you. There will be no water, showers, plumbing or trash disposal.
  • Flagstaff is a large town with everything you could need and it’s close-by
  • It’s all free, there is no charge.
  • We have internet and cell phone coverage if you have Verizon.
  • The weather should be great. But come prepared for cool nights, hot days and rain just in case. Come prepared for insects as well. The Arizona sun can quickly burn you to a crisp so a hat and sunscreen are almost

mandatory.

I am planning two community meals.

1. The first will be June 22, 2013. It will be a canned chili dinner. Everybody should bring a can of chili, pound of hamburger, onions, or canned tomatoes and we will throw it all into a huge pot and heat it up. It might sound awful, but it has always turned out great!
  2. The second will be Saturday, June 29, 2013 and it will be a canned soup dinner. It is just like the chili dinner except bring a can of soup. Please try to bring a can of thick soup like Campbells Chunky or Progresso or some other meal replacement soup. As an alternative bring fresh, chopped, vegetables. If they aren’t chopped, don’t bring them.

Come and have a great time meeting like-minded-people, share what you know, and learn from others!

This is the Google Sattelite Map of our camp

This is the Google Satellite Map of our camp

This is a snip from the CoconinoNF  MVUM showing thebroad  area around our camp.

This is a snip from the CoconinoNF MVUM showing thebroad area around our camp.

Right Way!

Right Way!

Wrong Way!!

Wrong Way!!

About

I've been a full-time VanDweller for 12 years and I love it. I hope to never live in a house again!

Posted in Camping Locations, Tribe
41 comments on “Location for Rubber Tramp Rendezvous (RTR)
  1. Frank says:

Are there shade trees or is shade not needed.
    Just wondering for future use, but for right now i live too far in Florida.

But i really wish i could go Bob. Sounds like lots of fun and nice people.

What about food? I’m sure everybody chips-in for a BBQ.

You know what would really be a cool idea.

Everybody could chip-in for a led projector uses little power.Then an ouside dvd movie could be played at night. Just like at Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Campground.

Course (we) would also need a screen, but that wouldn’t be a problem, would be easy to set-up. Maybe can even be hooked-up to a laptop for online movie rentals or for some type of presentation.

Just don’t turn the place into a sports bar, unless there’s BEER.

• Bob Bob says:

Frank, as you can see in the pictures, there are lots of trees so you can get under one no problem for cooling! The temperatures have been in the 80s so far so not too bad. I have solar so I just park in the open.

We will have two community dinners, you can read more about that in the post. LED projector is a pretty good idea! I may look into that. I think all I would need is a sheet on the side of the trailer.

• Mara Alexander says:

It sounds heavenly! Looking forward to the day I can join you. I’d of course bring a big can of soup AND some chopped vegetables. 🙂

• Bob Bob says:

Mara, you should have been here, after 5 chili dinners this was by far the best, it turned out really good!! Hopefully you can make it for winter RTR. That is if your slave-driver clients will let you come!

2. LaVonne says:

I’ll be there in a rented economy car with a tent and a cot. Hope it doesn’t rain because the tent leaks!

• Bring a tarp and some rope… you can put a tarp over your tent and space between car and tent.

• Bob Bob says:

Charlene, that’s a great suggestion, I should have put it in the post. The woods are thick so you can easily construct a potty tent out of a tarp or make a garage for the van for shade and sap protection, or you can make an awning to sit under. Or Lavonne can keep her tent dry in the unlikely event of rain.

• LaVonne says:

Thanks Charlene, I will bring a tarp and rope. Looking forward to meeting everyone at last!

• LaVonne says:

Btw, are there mosquitos at that elevation? Should I bring bug repellant?

• Bob Bob says:

Elevation doesn’t stop mosquitoes, but the dryness does. It’s so dry here now that there are none. So far bugs haven’t been an issue here or in Williams. There are flies and no-seeums but they haven’t been a problem.

• Bob Bob says:

Lavonne, it rarely rains this time of year, but it does later in July. Even if it does, there are plenty of people here with tarps to cover it and keep you dry. See you soon!

• LaVonne says:

Thanks Bob, I will buy a tarp. They’re always good to have on hand. 🙂

• Bob Bob says:

LaVonne, yes, a tarp is always handy! Lots of trees here so you can use some rope and tie it off and have a tarp over your tent and a little sitting room as well.

• Suzann says:

Lavonne, you are so fortunate to be able to attend RTR! Hopefully next winter I’ll be there!

Everyone please post lots of pictures and comments!

3. Frank says:

P.S.- Read my last comment from the college post.

It might help some vandwellers or RVers with cooling needs that live in the eastern part of the U.S. They are city boondocking and can’t move north for whatever reason. Might be better than staying in a city park or just using a plain 12volt fan.

Also if you live out west, west of the Mississippi River. There is also a 12volt evaporative cooler for vans and RV roof tops. Just do an internet search, last i remember it was about $400 dallors. You can even put ice in the water to make it cooler.

Not a bad deal for staying cool – Las Vegas here i come, just joking, I think?

Great suggestions Frank!

• rick says:

Frank: I am interested in reading your “comment from the college post” about keeping cool but have no idea where to find it? can you explain where to find the info? thanks

• rick says:

Frank: opps I found it. On the home blogs page. the post about the guy who lived in his van at college. Good suggestions on keeping cool. thanks

4. Irv Oslin says:

Great that you have rules and enforce them. I used to do a lot of group camping trips on the river and now go solo 90% of the time because it’s hard to find people who act responsibly and can’t respect their fellow campers or the environment.

• Bob Bob says:

Irv, I agree totally. I have seen some really terrible campers leave a really horrible mess! However, I must say that I have camped with a whole lot of vandwellers and I almost never see a problem! Vandwellers really are the exception when it comes to being good neighbors and good citizens of the planet. Otherwise I would not have a standing invitation for anyone to join me at any time.

Hopefully you will get a chance to stop by some time!

5. Laurie says:

Great choice of location Bob!

When I visited that area last week, I had the great good fortune of seeing 3 huge elk!

It’s a lovely and peaceful spot. I especially appreciate you taking into account the challenges low clearance vehicles like mine have in choosing your locations.

Thanx Bob!

I will be heading over there wed or thur and look forward to reconnecting with our family of friends and kindred spirits at the summer rtr!

Until then…celebrate life!

Ps – I am volunteering for 3 hour at the music festival in flagstaff today which gains me free entry saving 30 dollars so I can see my friend catie curtis who is headlining.

I think they still need volunteers if anyone else would like to enjoy the music festival.

• Bob Bob says:

Laurie, that is great news, I am really looking forward to seeing you again! It takes all kinds to make our tribe from the huge RVs to the tiny cars and I always want everyone to be able to make it!!

Thanks for the info on the music festival, I know we have several other budding musicians in the group.

There are new people in camp I think you will want to meet!

6. iris says:

Well, I wish I could join you all but I am camp hosting in Huntsville, UT and will have to wait till the winter to meet everyone in Quartzsite, maybe next yr. Looks like agreat place and thank you Mr. Bob for being so thoughtfull in all your planning. Hope to meet everyone soon.

• Bob Bob says:

Iris, too bad you can’t make it, but we are spending this whole year in Arizona, so we will see you this fall. As of right now I am strongly considering a trip into Zion in November if you are still around.

7. Ken in Anaheim says:

LaVonne (et al) This “shelter” is also something ya might want to consider…….:

Ken in Anaheim

8. Naomi says:

I wish everyone a fun and safe time. Would love to attend next summer.

~Naomi

9. This flying bicycle looks fun but at $10,000+ it seems a bit expensive – it does use bio-fuel so that’s good.

Flying bicycle.

10. Austinboat says:

I’m heading out of Austin early afternoon tomorrow to head your way. I have to drive slow but will be there as quick as possible. I look forward to meeting everyone!

11. dan novinger says:

Bob:

OK, I’ll bite……why “Rubber Tramp” rendezvous?

regards,
    Dan

• Bob Bob says:

Dan, It’s an old time saying that differentiated tramps who drove in cars or trucks (now van and RVs) from Leather Tramps who walked and used their shoe leather, and Hobos who road the iron rails of trains. It’s not a really common saying anymore. It was made famous recently in the movie “Into the Wild” about Chris Mcandles who was a leather tramp but became good friends with a couple who were Rubber Tramps.

Basically we are tramps on rubber wheels.

12. m.a. says:

So sorry I won’t be there. I miss everybody! It’s a little too far for me to come, & I just started the first of a couple of housesitting jobs so I won’t have to do anything but lie around & be lazy & have fun next winter. 🙂

Have a wonderful Rendevous. I hope you get some good pictures, Bob.
    Maybe you’d better start adding audio? – so we can enjoy….I think! 😀 …some of Kyndal & Bryce’s serenading!

See you all in January. xx, m.a.

13. dan novinger says:

Bob:

Thanks for the explanation.

I’ll have to take a look at that movie. I find your blog very educational and I appreciate learning from your experiences and lessons learned.

It’s a lot cheaper and easier to learn from someone else.

Especially if it’s someone who has learned from their mistakes or from having invested the time and study effort to learn how to do something the right way.

The alternative, of course, is to pay your own tuition in the university of hard knocks and suffer the expense or bruises from your own personal experiences.

Thanks for sharing.

regards,
    Dan

• Bob Bob says:

Dan, the only thing I am an expert at is doing things wrong and making mistakes! But, eventually I generally figure things out so I like to pass along that hard-earned knowledge to others.

14. MARK says:

JUST CURIOUS HOW LONG WILL THE RTR NEAR FLAGSTAFF BE LASTING? WANTED TO GET UP THERE AROUND FIRST OF JULY…..MARK IN WAY TOO HOT PHOENIX

• Bob Bob says:

Mark, the RTR lasts till Tuesday July 2. But we were caught by a Ranger as soon as we got here, so I have to leave Sunday, June 30. But I will have the location to my new campsite here on the blog so you can either visit with me in the new camp or go to the RTR and visit with the group.